Cherries

Monday, November 26, 2012

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Last years cookies!
The Christmas season is officially here so let me be the first to wish you Happy Holidays!


Dave, Mason and I traveled to Utah for Thanksgiving and we had a wonderful time. My mom has not been well for some time and last week she wound up in the hospital. It was looking somewhat bleak that she would be home for Thanksgiving but my sister Terry really pulled out all the stops and convinced moms doctors to let her come home. I'm sure it was not easy for my mom to sit still while all the makings of Thanksgiving dinner were happening around her, though there just comes a time when you have to let others do the heavy lifting. We also got to spend a significant amount of time with my niece Tammy and her family. We went Black Friday shopping, played games, and the kids made gingerbread houses. All in all, it was a very nice trip, no drama (hey, some families have their regular share), just lots of laughs and too much good food.


On the drive home, Dave and I were discussing the "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas" controversy. He argued that saying Happy Holidays is simply the generic or politically correct way of saying Merry Christmas. I disagree. Happy Holidays to me is a more full way of sending well-wishes, it encompasses Thanksgiving (the tail end), Christmas, and New Year. I don't have any aversion to wishing someone a Merry Christmas, I just see Happy Holidays as a more whimsical phrase, it conjures up a bigger picture for me than Merry Christmas does. What do you think? Are you with Dave?

With just 28 shopping days left, are you ready for the big day? I'm mostly ready, but as many of you know I bake my gifts so the cookie factory will be opening soon. I also made apple butter, mandarin fig jelly, and I have a few festive loaf cake recipes I want to try. With Mason becoming so proficient in the kitchen, I am thinking this is going to be one fun holiday season! I'll post pictures in the next few weeks. For now, it's back to homework -- with just two more weeks of school, it's a crazy-busy time. I hope you have a great week!

Lots of love,
Kathy

No comments: