Cherries

Monday, June 15, 2020

We Must Speak Up If We Expect Real Change

Black lives matter, they absolutely do. This prejudice of people of color has got to stop. It has been going on too long and it’s clear if more white people do not speak up, show up, and stand up, it’s not going to stop. I’d say that’s pretty clear based on the 1960s to today. If George Floyd had to lose his life for real change to happen then I hope his family feels like it was not in vain. It was not okay and I’m so sad it happened but if real change comes...then he will not be just another statistic. ❤️

I was talking with Dave about how I was raised by racist parents but my mom and dad would tell you adamantly that they were absolutely not racist. My dad would tell you he wasn’t racist because he had a black friend. Yes, one (maybe more, I don’t all the way know, but I do know of one). And my mom was less obvious but if there were black people walking down the street, she would tell me to lock the car door. She also made it very clear that I was to never date a black guy. Her explanation was that it’s not a good idea to mix races. I shake my head when I recall these, “talks.”


I’ve made very deliberate and conscious attempts to undo that thinking and it’s not an easy thing to do. It starts with being aware of the unconscious conditioning. Mason has been set up for equality success far better than I ever was and if that’s the only thing I do well as a parent, I’ll take the win. I’m so proud of my little foothills town for speaking up, showing up, and standing up tonight - peacefully to send the message that this just has to stop.

No comments: