Cherries

Monday, November 22, 2010

Getting To Know Spencer

Today I am going to test my talent as a writer. We all know how something can be funny in a moment with certain people, but when you try to share it later, the humor is lost. This is special enough and the message of joy feels good that though it's not laugh-out-loud funny, I'm going to give it a go!

We've had Spencer as a part of our family for a year and he's a really sweet dog. He couldn't be more different from Riley and some say that's a good thing, I don't know, I wish he were a little more of a cuddle bug like Riley was. But that's beside the point. In this last year, Spencer has been slow to show us his personality, or so we thought!

This caramel colored cocker spaniel loves a ball, no, he's crazy for a ball! He will bring it back and bring it back and bring it back until you are fed up with the sloppy-slobbery ball. As it is with kids and bedtime, parents know the routine has to start thirty minutes before you actually want your child in bed, right? It's the same principal with Spencer and his ball. We have to take it away and hopefully hide it prior to bedtime because he will spend at least fifteen minutes frantically looking for it. I said hopefully hide because if he sees where we put it, his efforts will be spent attempting to get it, no matter where it is. As we turn out the light and tuck ourselves in, he will succumb as he fluffs his spot at the foot of the bed, always with a big, big sigh and those sad eyes.

The ball-obsession is one side of Spencer, another is his raccoon quality. Yep, he's a thief! Most of the time we can spot him on the run with something in his mouth as he hurries out the dog door. I know he has stolen something because he never hurries to go outside. I think he secretly loves it when I catch him because then it turns into a game of cat and mouse as he will run away, but come back just close enough for me to think he's surrendering - only to turn on a dime in the other direction! It's heartwarming to see him come to life and play like that, until he crosses the line.

Last week I was processing glove orders, addressing envelopes, and as always, including a handwritten thank you note. I went to get more cards and when I came back there were gloves missing. I looked to see if they fell off my bed or if I absentmindedly carried them into my office when I thought, Spencer! I called him and he came running, excited to see what I wanted. Uh-huh, I wasn't buying that sweet smile and those big puppy-dog eyes, he took my gloves. I started toward the door and he sped past me getting outside first confirming what I already knew. I started to walk the yard and what do I see? The box of cinnamon See's suckers from my bag - "Why, that little..." I said. Apparently he doesn't like cinnamon as they were out of the box but not eaten. I kept walking and saw something gray sticking out of the blueberry bush. Mason's shark, buried, all but the tail. Onward I go to find hidden under leaves and in bushes throughout the back yard a flip-flop, a stuffed eagle (he has a penchant for stuffed animals), a pirate eye patch, the other flip-flop, a teddy bear, a torn up box and finally, the gloves that sent me on this scavenger hunt to begin with! As I am carrying the loot he is right along side me wagging his tail and reaching up to take something back! I put everything on the table on the deck to grab my camera to photograph the evidence. When I came back out, there he was, darn near up on the table trying to decide what to take back! Or who knows, maybe evaluating what I found and what I didn't! Laughing! Scroll down to see the pictures.

Our animals have such distinct personalities and no matter if they are cuddlers or like to sleep on the floor all alone, they are full of light and love...sometimes mischief, too! After the deep sadness I felt this time last year, I am laughing and loving again with Spencer. I thought he was slow to show me who he is when in fact, I have not been paying close enough attention!

And there my friends is your Monday Motivator, pay attention and tune in to those you love. They are showing you who they are every minute of every day. With lots of laughter and love!

No comments: