Cherries

Monday, February 13, 2017

Never A Dull Moment

EV Cain Dance on Friday night.
It’s been quite the week. Let’s see, it started with getting to visit with Cathleen and Rod on Monday, it was too short a visit, but I will take an hour or two over nothing every time.  It is the effort to make the little visits happen that really say, you are important to me, to us, don’t you think so? Tuesday Mason had an audition for a film that will be shooting in the Sacramento area next month. I got the call over the weekend that the role is for a young boy, but they need one who is a little older as the role is very graphic and mature. The casting director wanted to talk with us about it before she scheduled the audition. Well, graphic and mature are mild descriptions of this part. As an actor, I would LOVE a role like this (and Mason feels the same), but as a mom, it would be hard to watch your kid in this role. With all of that said, I was so pleased that Mason would have the opportunity to audition, but with no life experience with this kind of anguish and pain, and no real acting experience to speak of, I didn’t expect anything to come of it beyond the audition. Wrong! He got a call back, the director noting that he loved Mason’s fearlessness and willingness to go all in. Holy cow, Mason listened to me! They sent more direction and a different scene and asked that a I send them a recording. We did and now we wait. The way I see it, it doesn’t matter if he is cast or not, he has something and if not this time, next time. I’m totally surprised and even more pleased for him. 


In his trailer on se
From the audition on Tuesday afternoon, we headed to the bay area where Mason was competing the next day in a kids cooking competition. People always ask me, “Did he win?” My answer is always the same, Mason won by being selected to compete. Being in the company of other great kid cooks, television crews, producers and sometimes, Food Network Stars, to me is a win. Oh, and yes, there is an official winner in cooking competitions, but I’m not telling because this one will be televised and it will hopefully be a fun one to watch. All the kids did amazing things and frankly, they all could have won, they were that good.







At the Twenty One Pilots concert

We got home Thursday and got back to school and work. Friday night I had the honor of chaperoning a dance at Mason’s middle school. That was something! It’s amazing how little some of those kids look and it seems to me we were taking more responsibility when we were in middle school…maybe it’s just my 50 year old eyes seeing things differently and I’m sure my 50 year old memory is not as good as it used to be. In any case, it was fun. Saturday night, Mason and I went to a concert, Twenty One Pilots is Mason’s favorite band and I got him the tickets last summer to give him for his birthday. I didn’t have high expectations for the concert and boy was I wrong! It was a GREAT show, I would even go as far as saying it was epic, one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. 





Sunday Dave came home (from training in Camp Roberts) only to be activated to the potential failure of the emergency spillway of the dam in Oroville, CA. He reported only to be sent home on stand by while we wait for the next round of storms to come through later this week. They evacuated 188,000 people! The good news is, they were able to release enough water quickly enough that it looks like we will be okay. Now we are looking ahead to Valentines Day and then Mason’s winter break from school. We are heading to Truckee to play in the snow and ski. We can’t wait!

No comments: