Cherries

Monday, February 25, 2019

Dave's Last Week as a Soldier


Congratulations Flower, you made it! I've been along on this ride with you for 23 of your 33 years in the military and there are just not words for how proud of you I am. Starting out with 4 years in the Navy, and transitioning to the Army, living through multiple deployments, big and small, you served our country with pride and the spirit of a true patriot. 

I remember after we married and the post 9/11 conflict erupted, I was asked to speak at a service club in Alameda. I recall sharing that you were a Tanker and laughing, "Who gets out of high school and becomes a Tanker? I'm not sure there is a big calling for tank drivers." And I wasn't far off because when you did deploy, it was with an Infantry unit! Talk about Murphy's Law! We were some of the lucky ones because you came home in one piece and we were able to get back to building our fairytale life, and in so many respects, it is just that!

So now you head into retirement from the military and on to another career that has yet to be determined. I know you will find something you enjoy doing and it won't be a big deal as you really just need to do it until Mason graduates in 2022 and we pack up the dogs and head to North Carolina. You did what few people today can do, you retired from more than 20 years of active duty service to collect a retirement and VA disability. I love you and I love the life we create each day together. Happy Military Retirement! Now get ready for the party on March 2nd...


No comments: