Cherries

Monday, October 22, 2007

MM 10/22/2007

Hi Friends,

Last week I ranted about groceries, eating out, and my attempt to save money. This was, without a doubt, the most responded to MM of all time. Thank you to all of you who gave me your input and I appreciate that you were honest. I know you were honest because some of you told me I was crazy, over reacting, and that I needed to "just lighten up, buy the groceries and let them eat out." Others empathized that they have gone through the same thing and felt my frustration.

Two of you hit the nail on the head with the acknowledgment that (first, my e-mail was one-sided, and) this family is not aligned in terms of our financial goals. The good thing is that reading the replies gave all of us more to talk about, and everyone felt validated on some level. For me, I just feel like I have worked so hard this year to pay off our debt, and set us up to be able to save, that to see that hard work eaten up (okay, pun intended!) by eating out, just seems silly.

This weekend we celebrated. Mason turned four on Saturday and we went to Apple Hill. We had a picnic and took lots of pictures. Ken and Dahlynn were there signing books and we just made a big deal that it was Mason's birthday. When we got home, we had pizza for dinner and then let Mason open presents from the family. On Sunday, we had a bull riding birthday party (in theme only) in the backyard. Dave barbecued, and we had a good turn out of 10 kids plus parents. Mason was especially happy to have his grandma Mary here to celebrate, too!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and are looking forward to a great week! I have attached a few pictures from the weekend. Enjoy!


A Thought on Service
"I believe one of the most important questions any of us can ever ask of ourselves is, 'What and how can I be of service?' … It doesn't take a Harvard degree or millions of dollars to make a difference in a child's life. … It just really takes a commitment and a will to do better."
— Oprah

No comments: