Cherries

Monday, July 21, 2008

Summertime Fun

I'm trying to make the most of this summer, the last summer of Mason's life as a toddler; meaning he starts real school August 13th. With this in mind, I changed his preschool schedule to just two days a week so he and I can spend more time together getting ready for kindergarten and have some fun, too.

Wednesday, Mason and I were invited to join Amy and the girls at our community pool. That was a great way to spend two hours before dinner. Mason slept like a baby. Friday, we met Ken, Dahlynn, and Shawn for a movie and treat afterward. We saw Space Chimps, and Mason loved it! We went to have an ice cream after the movie and then went to Petco to see the mice, fish, and reptiles. On our way home, the big gift came. Dahlynn and Ken offered for Mason to spend the night while I went to my girls poker night. Mason was elated! You see, Shawn is rarely home when Mason is there, so a sleepover with Shawn was like winning the 5 year olds lottery! I have to say, watching Mason sit with Dahlynn and then being so excited to spend the night with them, fills me with gratitude beyond measure. It was really as good as Mason thought it would be. Shawn played Legos with Mason, they did a cool craft project, picked vegetables from the garden, hunted ghosts in the backyard after dark, took a bath with tons of (new to Mason) bath toys, and watched a movie before finally falling asleep. In the morning Dahlynn asked Mason if he wanted her to call and wake me up to come get him. His reply, "No, don't call her, let her stay home." I'm not surprised, heck, I'm good, but not that good!

I'm having a blast watching The Baby Borrowers on Wednesdays. I love watching these young people get such a spicy taste of real life with kids. I love my son, but you all know I feel at my wits end on a somewhat regular basis, and it's those times that make me feel so grateful for the people in our lives Ken & Dahlynn, Diana, Mary & Keith, Cris & Kelly, our families and all the other people who love Mason, and us as a family.

Finally, Dave is on the dream vacation of his life. He has been to Maryland, Rhode Island, Delaware, Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania. It's battlefield Heaven! He got to meet one of his other sisters, JK and her family, and is spending the next two nights in Gettysburg. All in all, he's having a blast!

So, what are you doing for Summertime Fun? As you can see, we're trying to make as much as we can about the simple pleasures and the people we love. Lots of running in the sprinklers, single scoop ice cream cones in the back yard, chalk on the driveway, toys in the bath tub, and cuddles before bed. You all feel like you are right here, part of our lives, and in the loop. Take a minute and share with us what's new with you. Do tell!

This week, start with this little Motivator that is a Kathy Original. It's how I see the comparisons between life and summertime.

"Make the most of each warm day, just as we must make the most of each day with our children.
Just like the days that seem so long, our kids sweet childhood days are gone in an instant.
Enjoy the warm nights that make us want to wear very little. Take that same sexy feeling while wearing so little, and passionately kiss your spouse.
Feed your daily life the energy that summer fills you with. The energy that's made up of all your life's summers combined. Infuse it into this very minute and see what happens.
I bet it will create and even more magnificent energy.
That, to me, is what makes summertime so special."


2 comments:

Big Mike said...

I like the Kathy original, Neave and I went shopping in the city and we had a great day. Found some really good deals.

Kathy said...

I'll say! $5 jeans at Old Navy, and 5 pairs that you like, AND fit you! You go Mike!