Cherries

Monday, July 7, 2008

Yes, There are Downs With the Ups!

Happy Monday All!

I propose that we celebrate America all month long. Let’s gather together, barbeque, eat watermelon, and swim all month long. The days are warm long into the evening so even if you have to work, there’s time to celebrate when you get home. Just think how different your evening can be if you can change the way you think about how you feel when you get home from work. Instead of thinking you’re tired; imagine how nice it will feel to eat an ice cream cone in the back yard with your husband and kids. Think about what your kids will think when this is what you do when you get home! I guarantee it will be these nights with you they will remember when they are grown up with kids of their own.

We had a nice weekend, but not perfect. Dave and I found ourselves at odds and ironically, I’ve also had a falling out with Julie. Clearly, it’s me, so I’m spending this week reflecting about what I’m doing or not doing that’s creating discord in my most treasured relationships. Dave and I have seemed to understand each other’s perspective, but it seems the one with Julie needs more time. The good news is, in all my 40+ years I’ve learned that time is the one thing that seems to soften the edges and heal the wounds. There may be some of you wondering why I would mention that I had an argument or falling out. The fact of the matter is, its real life, and many of you have questioned whether or not I paint too good a picture on a weekly basis. I typically tell it like it is (or at least like it is from my perspective…what else do I have?), and it is usually really good. So this week, hopefully Julie and I will talk and restore our affinity, reality, and communication.

In light of the difficulty, the holiday weekend was nice. We went to a lovely party in Dixon at the Black Tie Arabians Ranch where we ate wonderful food, danced, watched fireworks, and Mason learned to ride a bike! On Saturday, Mason and I went swimming at Deb and Brennan’s annual July 4th party, and then we met Tammy, Lexi, and Coby in Sacramento for dinner at Applebee’s. Since they live in Utah, they haven’t seen Mason since we were there in 2005 for my dad’s funeral. It was fun for Mason to meet some of his cousins.

I hope you had a nice long holiday weekend, and can find some time to continue celebrating all month long. Even if you just find one little thing you can do each day to remind you of what you felt like as a kid during the summer months; long days, warm nights, fresh fruit, ice cream, crisp sheets, sleeping with your window open, warm mornings, and anything else that is indigenous to your childhood. Have a wonderful week and please, drop me a line and let me know what is new with you!

If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call to make, who would you call and what would you say? And why are you waiting?" -- Stephen Levine

No comments: