Cherries

Monday, November 10, 2008

Moving Chairs

Happy Veterans Day!

I have so much to share with all of you that I have to pick and choose. Yesterday was our seventh wedding anniversary and we shared little celebrations all weekend long. The best part of all our celebrating is how much we laugh together and though Dave and I share our own little funny moments, nothing compares to how much Mason makes us laugh.

As it is with all kids, Mason has a hard time sitting still and often won't sit properly in a chair. He'll sit sideways, slouch down, or turn around to lean his front on the back of the chair, and rock it on the back two legs. Last week after numerous scoldings to sit still AND properly in the chair, he lost his balance and fell. I hurried over to make sure he was okay, and as moms do, I scolded him again for not listening to me the all the times before he fell. In true Mason form he stood up, held his hands out in front of him and said, "Well, mom, you shouldn't buy chairs that move!" "What?! Chairs that move? Let's stand here for a moment and see if the chair moves again." I said laughing through my tears. What tears was Kathy crying you may be asking yourself, well they were the tears that were squeezing out of my eyes because I was talking while trying not to laugh. we stood there for a few more seconds and Mason finally gave in that the chair probably didn't really move, but he was sure he didn't tip the chair over either. He told me he would look into it and get back to me.

On Thursday, I was living one of those hectic parenting moments when I got to see what talent my son really has. I was making dinner, unloading/loading the dishwasher, clearing the kitchen table when the phone rang. It was Dave wanting to use his drive time to talk about some time sensitive issues we had to make decisions about. Mason was playing in the living room and at that moment, the television seemed really loud. Apparently it wasn't that loud because while on the phone, I heard the sound of Mason's head hitting something (once you've heard that sound, you know it), followed by a short cry and then the long, deep breath, that comes before the loud cry that the whole neighborhood would be hearing momentarily. He managed to get up and walk over to me while I was going to him to see the black, raised bump on his forehead. Now this is not really out of the ordinary for people with kids, but how it happened just may be. I hung up the phone, turned off the stove, and grabbed the ice pack from the freezer.

As we sat on the couch together and I held the ice on his head I asked him what he did. I'm going to do my best to paint this picture, but nothing will recreate him showing me what he did. "I was being the cop and I was being the bad guy. When I shot myself like this (he shows me how he made a gun with his hand, pointed it at himself and fired), I flew backward to die and hit my head on the rocking chair." He explained in his still crying voice. When he came back to the couch to continue icing his head, I asked him why didn't he know the chair was there. In that moment he looked up at me, black bump on his head, red wet eyes, and said, "Maybe that chair moves, too."

I hope this made you laugh today. I'm still laughing at the thought of moving chairs, and his ability to be so in the moment he could throw his body with that kind of force on a wooden chair. Have a great day and find something funny each day this week and laugh!

No comments: