Cherries

Monday, May 18, 2009

Mason Declares, "I'm Leaving!"

Yes, at the ripe old age of 5 1/2, Mason packed his things and declared he was leaving. I didn't ask him why he felt the need to leave but I did ask him where he was planning to go. Here's how this went:

Mason: "I'm leaving."
Me: "Oh? Where are you going?"
Mason: "To the middle of no where."
Me: "So you're running away?"
Mason: "Yes. I have all my things packed, everything I need. My blanket, some clothes, my guitar, and Zelda."

At this point I felt it necessary to grab the camera and take his picture.

Me: "Well, if you feel you need to go, okay. I'm gonna miss you."
Mason: "Yeah, well, I'll write to you."

Mason only made it as far as behind the sofa, but just a few minutes later he came into the bedroom and asked me to please cry. I started to cry and just then I got a special delivery letter from the mailman (Mason). I opened the pretend letter and asked Mason (in a whisper, so it didn't imply I was really talking to him) what the letter said. He read the letter to me in his voice from the living room and here's what it said: "Love Mason. I'm okay. I love you. I will come home sometime. I love you. Don't cry. Dear Mom."

Oh, I felt so much better, I went right back to work. A few moments later, another letter arrived. As I pretended to open the pretend letter, Mason ran back to the living room and read me this letter. "Love Mason. I love you. Here's what will make you very happy. Money! $162.57. Dear Mom."

I started to cry and through my tears, I said, "I don't want money, even all the money in the world. All I want is my Mason home with me. Boo-hoo-hoo."

Just then the mailman arrived with a package. I pretend opened the package and asked Mason what was in it. He said, "Me! Your favorite! Except for Riley. Are you happy I'm home mama?"

Yes! Yes! Yes! We laughed and hugged and smiling, he trotted back to the middle of no where behind the couch!

So here's what I derived from this little skit.

  1. Mason thinks I really love money. (I'm the CFO of the family, the one who says "no.")
  2. Mason also thinks I love Riley more than I love him. (That comes from Dave continually saying that I love Riley more than anyone.)
  3. He really does know what his necessities are. (Not leaving without his blanket and Zelda.)
  4. Finally, I really need to work with him on his letter writing format. Dear Mom starts the letter and Love Mason goes at the end.

I could be very upset by the money and Riley issue, but kids will be kids, and I know I don't love money like Mason portrayed it. The Riley thing, maybe true! Laughing! In my defense, when either Dave or Mason jump up and down, wagging their tails wildly, and barking with glee when I get home...from checking the mail! I might reconsider that position.

3 comments:

Big Mike said...

That is great, what a kid!

Lisa A. said...

I'm jumping up and down and wagging my tail, cuz I completely understand how you feel. Well sorta, I don't have a child, but I have a husband and step children.

Kathy said...

You don't have to have kids to be on the same page. Our dogs love us unconditionally. As people, it's a rare occurence! So glad you chimed in!