Cherries

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Part Two - Good News

Monday was our 8th wedding anniversary. I've shared over the years how much I respect and love Dave but you know what, we've never been through a loss and heart break like the one we're experiencing with Riley's death. Through this tough time, I've seen a side of Dave that I suppose I knew about, but until I needed it, it's not been obvious. It's how he holds me when I cry, not a hug, an all-encompassing embrace. Or the way he doesn't just hand me a tissue, he gently wipes my cheek. While I sleep, he not only puts his arm around me, he holds my hand. As deeply as there is heart break, there is sincere comfort. This is the message the old married couple gives the young newlyweds, "Marry someone you like, and loving them will come easily." Loving Dave has come easily (when it finally came!), and it gets easier every day! Happy anniversary!

Some of you may have known that we learned about a young cocker spaniel in Palm Springs that needed a new home. I don't believe in coincidence, I more so believe that things are as they are meant to be. The woman from the cocker rescue organization didn't know where he was, but sent me the e-mail because he is a young dog and she knew that's what we wanted. He was living just 15 minutes from where we were staying! I've never been to Palm Springs and here I am, with my car, and this sweet dog needs a new home. We had an additional passenger in the car on Sunday for the long drive home.

His name is Brando and he was abandoned as a puppy. I don't know how long he was in the shelter, but the couple that adopted him had two other dogs and two cats. Add Brando in and that made five all together in a one bedroom apartment! He spent most of his time in a crate (not a bad thing sometimes, but all day and all night?) and it's clear already he's loving his freedom. I'm very grateful to the people who recognized that he needed more than they could give him right now and let him come live with us. There's lots more to come from this character so stay tuned!

No comments: