Cherries

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Perfectly Choreographed Weekend

It's never fun to be sick, and for me to be sick on Monday, well that's a double whammy! This is a bad week to be under the weather as we had such an amazing weekend and I want to share it with you.

We headed out on Friday after work to the bay area and landed in Campbell to meet Dave's mom for dinner. It's always fun to watch her and Mason laugh and play no matter where we are or what we're doing. From there we made our way to Alameda where we had an amazing day on Saturday. We went to the beach to fly kites and we had lunch at Quinn's Lighthouse (one of my favorite places!). While we tootled Alameda, Mason was full of questions. My calm, quick what's the right answer was put to the test. Question #1: "Why don't we give everyone who asks for money our money?" This lent itself to some not so loving remarks but the answer was that there are programs for people to seek help through churches and other organizations provided someone is not able to work. Mason still thought we should be more giving and willing to part with our cash. Question #2: "How do women get pregnant?" This question led to Dave taking a big bite of lunch filling his mouth rendering him unable to speak! A lot of help he was! My answer was very matter of fact, when a man and a woman are in love, they have sex (which Mason knows a little about, but I reminded him is a conversation we will have when he is a little older. As he says, "I know mom, it's not appropriate.") and this is how a woman gets pregnant. He then went on to ask if Dave and I are in love, why don't we have more kids. Well, that one I let go in the shadow of some silly comment by my helpful husband to which Mason replied with rolling his eyes and a look that screamed Dad! Don't be so immature! Finally, question #3 was in the car listening to the radio. The song, I Kissed a Girl was playing and Mason asked, Why would a girl kiss another girl?" I answered, "Girls sometimes kiss girls. People are just people and love who they love." He then went on to ask, "Do boys kiss boys?" "Yep, some do." I matter of factly replied. "Eww! That's weird." I reminded him that we heard a gay man speak about being bullied and I asked him if he thought it was okay to beat up a boy because he kisses other boys to which he emphatically answered, "No!" Thankfully, that ended the questions that challenge mom.

Dave and I had a date night in San Francisco that included dinner and the show Rock of Ages. What fun! I have tried all these years to get Dave to go to see shows with me to no avail. Clearly a show written around the music and hair bands of the 80s was what I needed. We had a ball. Mason spent the night with Uncle Mike on his boat and he had an equally great time. They went fishing, kite flying, sailing, they played pinball and went to Tuckers for ice cream. On Sunday, Dave played in a game tournament in Oakland while I went shopping in San Francisco with Lisa and Diana. It's safe to say that though we got home very late Sunday night, a great time was had by all!

I hope all of you are able to coordinate your schedules to include the people you don't get to see very often and make it all work as beautifully as we did last weekend. It's completely blissful when everything just falls into place perfectly! Enjoy the warm weather this week and I'll see you next time!

No comments: