Cherries

Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

 
Goodbye 2012! This is the last Monday of the year, and to say 2012 was a year of growth and change would be a gross understatement. Our family saw some huge changes, challenges, and difficulty but along the way, we had some great fresh food, made some new friends, had lots of laughs, and ultimately got the message that it is not the things we have that make us happy, it is the time we spend together. Yes, we went through the short sale of the house and a painstaking IRS audit, but I want to talk about the bright spots that in my opinion, outshine the difficulties.
I thoroughly enjoyed all my classes at school and am grateful every day that I have this opportunity to be able to get an education. Dave took a vacation to Virginia for a historic civil war reenactment while Mason and I took a "Surprise Vacation" to Minnesota. Leading up to the surprise vacation, Mason did several things to earn some money including painting a gorgeous rock that I photographed for him and he was able to make nearly $130 from the sale of images, note cards, the rock itself, and three more rocks he was commissioned to paint!

Speaking of Mason, he continues to amaze me with his zest for life, the way he is fearless in his pursuit of life-experience, and his viewpoint that he can do anything. Many people have commented that it is unusual for parents to facilitate opportunities for their children like Dave and I do for Mason. I don't know that I agree we are so different. Certainly, I am (we are) very plugged in to Mason's life but he is an only child, I am not a mom who has to work at a j-o-b full time, and finally, as an older mom, I think I understand and appreciate that sharing this life with him is my only shot. As a younger woman, I don't believe I would be the mom I am at this point in my life - I really love watching him live a life with unlimited possibilities. Working with Dave to help Mason realize his dreams, it reminds us to keep our dreams on the life-radar, too. We are planning to move to the east coast in the summer of 2015 when Dave gets his degree. We can't plan for where there will be an opening in the National Park Service so we don't even know where we will go, but I assure you, we will go and there will be a job for him in the vicinity of where he wants to ultimately be...it is my intention and so it will be. My dreams include public speaking and public relations, how that will manifest later this year, I don't know, but like a winding country road, I can't see what is around the corner yet I continue to hold steady on the accelerator. I have one more semester of school to earn my AA and from there I will work on my BA more slowly, but absolutely surely.

All in all, time will continue passing whether we are taking action or not, the next twelve months will pass like the last twelve months did. It feels wonderful to know that individually and collectively as a family, we are growing and making strides to improve our overall condition - fitness, weight loss, lots of locally grown, seasonal food, I got to get back in front of the camera doing a few local commercials and even better, I got to share that passion with Mason! There is certainly more that happened in 2012, but these are the highlights for sure.

Here we are on the brink of 2013 and there are already exciting things happening. Mason has almost a half a dozen cooking demos on his schedule, a television appearance coming up this Friday, and a newspaper interview that should be out any day. I have a job possibility that has me excited, and Dave is keeping his eye on the prize of getting his degree so he can start living his dream life as a park ranger - yeah, he doesn't love on line classes, but he loves that we are really moving toward making his dream a reality.

As I wish you all a happy new year, let me leave you with this lovely Christmas quote that I feel expresses our Christmas perfectly, "The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree, the pesence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." Burton Willis

No comments: