Cherries

Monday, September 23, 2013

Let's Talk More, Type Less.

It's Monday again, I don't mind because I get to see Julie and her dad Gordon for lunch at Mason's culinary school. The other bonus today is that due to Mason hurting his foot on Friday, he does not have football practice tonight - sort of call it a reprieve. Mason
 
As a communication major and someone who has spent her life working on communicating more clearly and authentically, I am struggling with the landmines of the new communication tools so many of us use on a daily basis. I've had two really bad experiences with Facebook in particular and the barriers it places on our ability to communicate with one another (in their forum). It is not necessary to go into details but what I would ask of you, my friends and family, please call me with important news. I learned that relying on Facebook to get a very important message to a dear friend was a huge mistake. She was hurt and that in turn hurt me because I thought I let her know I was there for her. Facebook is fine for frivolous news, our day to day goings on, and nonessential information, but not life changing news.
 
With that said, maybe we can all make some time to chat on the phone, meet for coffee, plan a girls or guys weekend, or even write a thoughtful note and drop it in the mail - something you touched, touching someone you love. Maybe we need to make our personal worlds a little smaller so we have time to nurture and foster the relationships that mean the most to us. It gets complicated with school, jobs, kids, clubs, community, and all the other things we have going on. I'm thinking a smaller sphere would be good, though it's not easy to disconnect it may not be necessary altogether. I like Facebook for the "social-ability" of it, and the acquaintances I've come to know better but when it starts to create hurt feelings, stress, and anxiety, it's just not worth it. Just some food for thought and the idea that we can really make our lives more enjoyable.

No comments: