Cherries

Monday, January 12, 2015

Mason's Major Award

Happy Monday! How is January shaping up for you? It's been pretty darn good for Mason and I although not so much for Dave - he's been in Arkansas with the flu. As much as I love that man, I told him he can't come home until he's well. 

Mason got some really cool news, Mason has been selected to receive an award from Placer County - the Commemorative Coin Award. The recipients are personally chosen by the Supervisor for their district in recognition of either their acts of heroism, longstanding community service, or exceptional acts that have dramatically improved or impacted people's lives. WOW! How cool is this? From Mason, "I am getting my award on February 3, 2015. I still can't believe it, it's just a kitchen not saving a life or something." Thank you Supervisor Jennifer Montgomery for recognizing how hard Mason has worked and what an accomplishment it is for a 11 year old boy to raise $26,052 to put a kitchen in at his elementary school. As it turns out, the money Mason has raised will not go into renovating the actual kitchen, the school is just too old and the project was becoming more daunting by the moment. Instead, the school will be putting in a home economics room or food science lab so the students can actually learn to cook using equipment much like they have at home. Each year, the kids will learn to cook and in May, the school will host a community luncheon as a fundraiser to spotlight and show off the new culinary skills of our students. Pretty cool, huh? I'll keep you posted as to the progress so you can all see this come to fruition. 

I start back to school on the 26th and I can't wait. I love learning to use the Adobe programs for photo, publication and video creation - I love, love, love it! The other thing this year that I am taking action on is painting, yes, painting! I'll post pics of some of my work once I have one completed. I think it's so funny to hear someone say, "I just don't know what I want to do." Really? All I can think is, "I want to do this, and that, and the other thing, oh, and this, too!" I supposed it takes all kinds of kinds. 

Have an awesome week and be sure to wash your hands, and then wash them again! This flu is ugly and it's hard to beat. Just when you think you are over it, guess what? You're not! I hope you don't know this and are healthy, healthy, healthy! Big smiles! Kathy

No comments: