Cherries

Monday, July 20, 2015

When Things Settle Down a Bit...

Have you ever said that, "When things settle down a bit I'll be able to..." I don't know about you, but things rarely settle down enough for me to plan some whatever thing I think I can't do now. The fact of the matter is, if I want it to happen, I just need to put it on my calendar and there you are, that is why I'm so busy.

Mason asked me the other day what a mid-life crisis is, it went like this:
Mason: "Mom, what is a midlife crisis?"
Me: "When people get to the mid part of their lives, they start to feel like they didn't do what they wanted to do and maybe they feel like their time is running out to do what they dreamed they would do with their lives. Usually there is plenty of time if they would just get creative and take action."
Mason: "I think I am having a young life crisis."
Me: "Really, why?"
Mason: "It feels like 2015 just started and now it's half way over. I feel like I'm not doing enough to make my life the way I want it. What if I run out of time?"
Me: (laughing!) "Mason, you are only 11. Though none of us know when our time will come, just live life like you have your whole life ahead of you and I bet you will reach your dreams and far beyond."
Mason: "I don't know mom, 2016 is coming up fast."
Who the heck is this kid? I'm still shaking my head at how deep he is sometimes, because most of the time he his laughing about the word "erector" - you know, it sounds like...


My point to all of this is that Mason is so much like me, I want to say yes to everything, too. I want to learn new things, try stuff that looks like fun, go places I've never been and in general, I want to experience everything, well, almost everything - the fun stuff for sure! I'm glad he has that same sense of adventure but at the same time, I'm not sure feeling like you are running out of time at just 11 years old is so good either. Busy really is a choice, but for me, I choose to be involved, I choose to make a difference, and I choose to live every day to the fullest. So if we are overdue for a coffee, lunch or night out, let's get it on the calendar, there is no sense in waiting until things settle down a bit - they won't!

No comments: