Cherries

Monday, August 1, 2016

Almost Time for Back to School!

It's Monday and boy is it going to be a busy one! My schedule is jam packed from 9 AM - 3:30 PM and that does not account for anything that may (will!) come up along the way. Summer is winding down as school starts for Mason next week. I'm looking forward to him being back in school in some regards, but in others, I've enjoyed being with him this summer, not having to be up and ready for school...I know lots of parents who can't wait for school to start and I've been that mom some years, but this year, it would be okay if we had a little more time.

One of the meetings we have today is with the new principal for Alta Vista elementary school, Mason and I are meeting with her to see what her plans are for continuing the education the kids are getting in the culinary sciences lab and to let her know we are still here to support her in how ever she see's she can best implement it. I still do not understand why the district is not making this a jewel in their crown and putting some money into making is more successful. Don't tell me they don't have the money, because I've been down that road and listened to them cry poor for several years. When it came right down to it and the rubber hit the road, they produced the cash to upgrade the school cafeteria (over $50K), hire a real lunch lady, and pay for all the supplies for the culinary sciences lab as the guy in charge of purchasing the cabinets, stove, etc did not utilize a single discount or donation that we arranged for, so he spent every penny of the money Mason raised with none left over to outfit the kitchen. I raised a stink and suddenly we had $5K to go shopping with. See what I mean? Where does that cash-flow come from when you've been told again and again, "We simply do not have any money." Of course, I know the answer.

So this week I am off to a conference I've been trying to get to for the last 3 or 4 years, BlogHer. I want to learn more about how women are monetizing their blogs, I've got all this content and I know if they can do it, so can I. This year it's in Los Angeles so back in December I bought my ticket and made the commitment. I'm really excited to take this trip, not only for the event, but I love to travel and solo trips are so nice sometimes. There is no need to consider any one else's needs, I can just do what I want to do, when I want to do it and right about now, that makes me very happy! What about you, do you like to travel alone?

Have a great week and I'm sure I'll have lots to share come Monday.



No comments: