Cherries

Monday, December 18, 2017

Worst Birthday Ever!

It didn't start off all that bad, in fact, I had booked a stay in South Lake Tahoe thinking Dave and I could slip away for a few nights and enjoy some grown up time together. For the most part, we had a really good time, except for that one thing...our room ended up being a studio instead of a one bedroom, and Dave felt that I overpaid once he looked up on a military vacation site what we could have paid for the actual one bedroom we wanted. The one thing was that he couldn't let go of what I paid and proceeded tell whoever would listen, "Do you know what I could have paid for a week here? She paid this much." I saw the post about buying the weekend, I checked with Dave about the dates, and I booked it. I didn't shop it, I had the money so I booked it. Once he pointed out what we could have done, I agreed and said we would do that the next time, but for now, could we just let it go and have some fun? 

I don't need to recount all the details, but when we got home Sunday morning - the actual birthday, Mason did not do any of his chores, the house was a mess, and while I was getting on Mason about doing nothing, I got the birthday gift of a lifetime, “I can’t wait until I turn 18 and I don’t have to live in this stupid house!” Yep, my teenager was alive, well and rearing his ugly, big head.
He was butt hurt because he had 3 simple things to do while we were gone - do the dishes, clean the kitchen (wipe off the counters), and clean & slice cucumbers & carrots for pickles. He did none of it and got even more mad because I was making him do it. He thought me making him do the work was punishment enough, but not so fast Bucko!  We started an immediate media restriction through 12/27 (it was the 26th but he pitched a fit so I added another day). Yep, for my birthday I got to earn another, "Meanest Mom Ever!" award. 

The day continued along these lines with Dave and I stopping at Pete's for a drink before we were to meet friends. Dave was still talking about what I paid for the room and what he could have gotten it for, and we just couldn't get on the same page, in fact, we weren't even the same media! The night ended with, get this, Dave telling me he was so mad at me, he didn't want to come home. Yep, my son can't wait to get out of my house and my husband didn't want to come home - all on the same birthday. Suffice it to say, this was the worst birthday of my life.

Now there is a disclaimer - I am an incredibly lucky woman. I live a life that many only dream about and Dave & Mason bought me a beautiful jewelry set for my birthday so they were planning and trying to make my birthday lovely. Dave and I rarely argue or fight, but it does happen and it just so happened on December 17, 2017. I guess my point here is that I've had one really shitty birthday in 51 years, yes it was the worst, but compared to the 40-something I can recall, it's still a pretty wonderful life. 

No comments: