Cherries

Monday, May 14, 2018

Happy Mother's Day - Let's Keep it Real.

Sunday was Mother's Day, it was a pretty good day considering history shows that there seems to be some pressure that comes with holidays that invariably create angst for various members of our family. I'm sure this being the first mother's day without both of our moms, there was an undercurrent of sadness. With that said, I did have the best time teaching Mason (and my neighbor Jen joined in) to decorate cupcakes and he created a scavenger hunt for me. At the end of the clues, I found a shot of tequila and a handwritten letter from him that read: 

"Dear Mom, I love you, but let's talk about the word love. The word love, at least when I heard it, it made me think of Paris, the loveliest place on earth. And in Paris, people love art so they made an entire museum of art called the Louvre. The "Louvre" sounds a lot like loo, which is French for toilet. So when I say, "I love you," what I really mean is, "I toilet you." And since this is a love letter, it's actually toilet paper. Letters are written on paper and this letter is about love, so it's TP. Toilet, Your son Mason - PS I wrote this at the comedy club in my head, "The Mind." Where my shows sell out, all my jokes are funny, and I get to eat for free.


It's Monday so let's keep it real. Don't buy into the idea that all the exciting things you see on your friend's social media feeds are a blissful life, especially in light of Mother’s Day - it's likely just the “Kodak moments,” and the good news they want to share, but not the whole picture. Real life is messy houses, dirty cars, account balances that don't always meet the need, kids that drive their parents crazy and parents who don't always love being parents. We are all doing the best we can this minute, or maybe we are slacking and know we can do better, either way, it's all good. If no one else has told you lately, you are enough, in fact, you are awesome!

No comments: