Cherries

Monday, January 7, 2019

Happy New Year!

I don't know if we've all been told that as we age, the hands of time seem to speed up. I know I've heard it many times in my life and I'm here to testify, yep, it's true! As 2018 was winding down it was occurring to me that our family was not as busy in terms of line items on the calendar but we also weren't sitting home twiddling our thumbs either. There was plenty going on to keep us running from the time the alarm clock sounded until the 10 o'clock news was wrapping up and Dave was sound asleep in bed next to me. I also noticed that so many of my friends on social media were bidding good riddance to 2018, using visuals like 2018 on a garbage bag and the like. Did I miss something? I know that I generally live my life wearing rose colored glasses but I didn't think 2018 was such a horrible year. It seems to me that we have some good and bad in every year, and 2018 certainly has its ups and downs. We lost some dear friends, Ty and Angela were two of my close friends who we said goodbye to way too soon, and we had a few financial hits that we weren't all the way prepared for but to me, those are just normal life events. We also had lots of fun, my business was thriving, we spent many days on the lake, Mason made some movies, we went to the premiere of his first film, he did a number of cooking demos and competitions, and I won the grand prize at the 25th Anniversary of the Mandarin Festival recipe competition. We traveled to North Carolina and Tennessee and Dave did all of his paperwork in preparation to retire after 33 years of service to the United States military. I'm sure I'm leaving lots of things out, maybe on both sides of the coin, but I just don't think that 2018 needs to be remembered as the year we toss out like a big bag of garbage. Yet again, it's all about perspective, isn't it?

So here we are in 2019 and it feels like a fresh start. The Christmas tree is down, the new year confetti has been swept up and though there is still some clean up to do, I am ready to make things happen. Menopause has not been easy but I am pushing through it. I didn't make a single weight loss or fitness goal for the new year but I am staying the course with good food and the gym. I hope that doesn't sound contradictory, I just need to not make it the focus right now as it feels like something I just can't succeed at for the moment. I am taking my focus off Mason and turning the lens on me for this year. I want to make more videos and share my message on my channels. I want to start growing my platform in different directions so when Dave and I move when Mason graduates I am not having to start all over trying to "figure it out" in a new place with new people. I want to work in casting and movies with Sally, and I want to tell my own stories, too. Dave and I want to write our story for Mason and if we can craft that into a story that is interesting enough that others will enjoy then that is even better. I am a storyteller, I love to write and paint pictures with my words. I also love to make movies so I want to do that on my Youtube channel as well. I will start with motivational videos and then maybe mini-movies. We'll see where it goes, but this is my year to start, to not be afraid, and to do more, be more, and give more! What about you, what do you want for 2019? Can I help? Let me know and if I can make it happen, I will. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Dave Partak said...

So I was listening to my favorite morning radio show the other day and one of the hosts had a funny observation as relayed to him by a friend. His friend noted that he invented a time machine but it only went forward. Speaks to how time speeds up as we age.

As for the making of New Year resolutions, some say that making them is worse than not as more often they are not kept or you feel trapped by them. Failing to live up to them or manage them leads to anxiety and frustration that you would otherwise not have had, had they not been made. Keep them simple and not specific. I should talk, I made 21 of them this year. So far I am holding the course. We shall see in another week or so.

Dave