Cherries

Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year Fun!

There has been so much funny stuff over the last few weeks, but if I don't write it down I forget what it was. I called Dave to see if I could jog his memory but he's years older than I am so how is he suppose to remember? Sorry honey!

One of the funny stories came on New Years Eve. Mason being just five years old can't tell time. We had discussed whether we would let him stay up until midnight as we were trying to decide if any of us would make it. Greg and Heather were here with their Baby New Year, Josh! Josh was born on December 10th and it was just a joy to hold, cuddle, and smell him! Yes, you ladies know what I'm talking about, that new baby smell! I digress, as the night wore on, Mason was so excited that he could barely sit still. We tried to entertain him but at one point I'd had enough. I went to the kitchen and as I saw the clock approaching 9 PM I blurted out, "Mason! It's nearly midnight, come on, get ready!' Mason came running and said, "Now, mom, now?" I told him we had just about ten minutes to go so we needed to get a quick shower, get his pajamas on, and then we would start the countdown. He hurried into the bathroom with his footie pajamas in hand and took a bath at light speed! As soon as he was out of the bath, we gathered our poppers, noise makers, and filled our glasses with kid-champagne. We all went out onto the porch, counted back from ten and whoo-hoo, Happy New Year! As Greg, Dave, and I were popping our poppers and blowing horns, Mason couldn't get his poppers to pop. The string kept slipping through his fingers and he felt like we were leaving him behind. He started to cry when suddenly the string pulled and ka-pow! He went from near tears to yelling "Happy New Year!" When Mason was finished, he looked around at all of us and we were just looking right back at him. He asked, "Now what?" I replied, "It's after midnight, we can all go to bed now." Dave and Greg nodded and without even a peep, Mason said good-night and went right to bed. Easy as that, we all settled in to watch the ball drop for the west coast new year having already celebrated the with the east coast.

I hope you had an enjoyable holiday season and are looking forward to the new year. We are feeling more promise and hope than we ever have before. It''s an incredible feeling for me to move forward feeling like I am on the same page as Dave. I love it. I hope you are feeling as optimistic. Happy New Year!

No comments: