Cherries

Monday, April 26, 2010

Rodeo Weekend!

It was rodeo weekend here in Auburn as the Wild West Stampeded rolled into town. As most of you know, four years ago before Mason was even two he decided he was going to ride bulls. As dutiful parents we advised him that he had to ride a sheep first however, he had to be four to be allowed to participate in the Mutton Bustin events. When he was four, we registered, dressed him up, and when it came time to actually ride the sheep Mason cried, "I want to watch the bulls from my seat. I don't want to ride the sheep!" Needless to say, I didn't make him ride. Last year he asked if he could ride and I said no. As the rodeo approached this year, Mason informed me that he was ready and really wanted to ride the sheep. I initially dismissed the conversation as big talk, but he persisted. The morning of the event, he was up at the break of day, dressed and ready to go. Dave and I still sleeping, Mason was standing by our bed and Dave told him, "Mason, if you don't ride the sheep, you don't have even a chance at winning the buckle and even if you do ride, you still might not get it." Mason's reply was, "Dad, I'm gonna ride that sheep. I'm older now, I'm gonna do it." Do it he did! This was my first moment as a mom that I was so proud! I've been proud of Mason before, but not like this, this was the first time Mason accomplished something I know he really wanted to do. I'm proud because he overcame his fear and followed through.

The rest of the weekend was equally wonderful. We barbecued with friends, got some work done around the house, and all-in-all, just thoroughly enjoyed a gorgeous weekend at home. Looks like Old Man Winter will be back this week and in true springtime form, it will be warm again this weekend. I hope you had a weekend as fun-filled as we did! Here's some food for thought this week if you have something you want to overcome.

"You can conquer almost any fear if you will only make up your mind to do so. For remember, fear doesn't exist anywhere except in the mind."
- Dale Carnegie

No comments: