Cherries

Monday, October 8, 2012

What's Important to You?

Happy Columbus Day! It may not have been a holiday for you, but us Partaks had the day off. We took the opportunity to head up to Apple Hill thinking it's Monday, there will be no crowds. We'll have the place to ourselves. Absolutely wrong! Apparently everyone else who had the day off had the same idea. It really wasn't so bad, lots of people but a gorgeous fall day. As we hopped from farm to farm, we landed at Jack Russell Brewery where we ran in to one of Dave's good friends who he served with in Iraq. Through a number of life twists and turns, they lost touch and each time we talked about how we might reconnect I would always say, "We're going to run into him when you least expect it." Yep, that is exactly what happened today!

Listening to the two of them reminisce made me think about how important it is to share things with each other. There are little funny things and certainly more significant memories that could possibly change the course of our kids lives. Even as I write the words I wonder if I am being a bit dramatic but in fact, I don't think so. I asked Dave what three things does he want Mason to know - either about how he feels about him or life experiences he had as a kid. This is not a question that is easy to answer, but Dave came up with, "When you find what you love to do, do it! No matter what, don't put your dreams on hold." Hopefully, he will think about this some more and write a few things down. My Monday Motivators serve as an amazing journal for Mason, add to that the photo journey of homemade scrapbooks and Mason will have a darn good history of his family.

When I think about what I want him to know, I think about the little things like the fact that Sara Evans song "Could Not Ask For More" still makes me cry every time I hear it. While Dave was deployed, I fed Mason in his room in the black rocking chair and this song played every morning at 2:13 AM on his radio. My tears fell on his little head as I loved him and missed his dad. I felt for the first time, and I guess the only time in my life what true longing was. Feeling what it was like to miss his dad so much that it physically hurt while oddly, at the same time feeling completely blessed to be his mommy. So I'm feeling a little emotional today, not in a bad way but in the kind of way that makes me want to tell the people in my life how much they mean to me. I am spending a little extra time hugging, holding on for just that moment longer and really looking people in the eyes when we smile to say hello or good-bye.

Think about this a little bit and tell me what you want your loved ones or kids to know about you...maybe you and them, or how you feel about them. I would love to know what is important in your eyes. Sincerely, with love. Kathy

No comments: