Cherries

Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy MLK Day!

Hi Friends,
Whenever we have a holiday on a Monday, it screws me up. I'm always thinking about my MM, all through the week noting interesting things I could share with you and then Holiday-Monday rolls
around feeling like Sunday. So be it, I'm here now and was the real Sunday not an amazing day? I'll say! Congratulations to my very own San Francisco 49ers! They won their division and are headed to the Super Bowl in New Orleans. San Francisco and Maryland - I'm glad that Ray Lewis will get to retire with a Super Bowl as his last game, I'm just sorry they won't win! GO SAN FRANCISCO!

We had a great weekend that was a comfortable blend of work and play. I did some real estate stuff, Dave did some homework, we all did some house work and then on Sunday, we ate too much food, had some drinks, and had a blast watching football. The SF game was a real nail biter, so much so, I needed to get outside and do a 2.5 mile hike to bring my blood pressure down! Dave, Mason, and I took Spencer and several of the neighbor kids hiking and it was just beautiful! The weather this month has been spring like and all the trees and flowers are being fooled into early blooms. I'm sure we have lots more rain coming so I keep reminding myself to get outside while it is so nice out. We have also been doing a family sit-up challenge since the first of the year and we are seeing some great success. We started at Dave-40, Kathy-34, Mason-38 - Qualified sit ups in 2 minutes, and today we are at Dave-62, Kathy-64, Mason-67 - Qualified sit-ups in 2 minutes! How cool is that? Dave has been fighting a cold so his runs are just getting back on track, but the hikes and push-ups have been supplementing our sit up work.

Time to get back to work and school. I have one more week off, but it's a busy one with all I have to do to get my act together, buy another few books (the prices just kill me!), I have my first solo day on the new job on Thursday, and then we will be in Alameda for the chili cook-off on Saturday. Mason is leading team Chili Chucacabra to what we know will be a Judges and People's Choice Award sweep! We have been collaborating on a recipe and Mason has a very important go-to guy who has all kinds of culinary insights, our neighbor Harry H.! Harry has talked with us and given us some things to try...I'm counting on success! If this isn't all enough, tonight I had a visit from the mother of one of Mason's friends. She wants to know if she can hire Mason to cook for her Super Bowl party. Before I could say anything, she said, "I'm totally serious, can he barbecue ribs? What about wings and salads?" I can't look at Mason's catering career until we get through the chili cook off next weekend! Of course Mason told her heck yeah, "Mom, think about it, she is buying all the food AND paying me!" Notice he didn't say, "us - paying us." I like the idea just because then we get to go her Super Bowl party and we know the food will be killer. I'll keep you posted on this one.

Have a great week and if there is sunshine where you are, get outside, winter is a beautiful season for sunshine!

No comments: