Cherries

Monday, January 28, 2013

Life Lessons and Lots of Fun!

Happy Monday and first day of my last semester in school. It's cold outside but I am excited about the next sixteen weeks and at the end, I get my Associates Degree. It's a starter degree, but it's a degree nonetheless. I'm pretty proud to be accomplishing this and if I can pull off this last semester with good grades, I will graduate with honors.

This whole weekend was a hoot! I got to have a nice long visit with my friend Bettie Laven, I got to see Al Wright, Kathy Ledner Moehring, Georgia and her family, and so many more! Dave had some time to go play a game at his buddy's house and we all watched some movies. Dave, Mason and I were in Alameda for the Kiwanis Clubs Chili Cook off. We all collaborated on a recipe and Mason put it all together. He learned how to use hickory wood chips in the barbecue to smoke the meat and chili's and when it was all said and done, he learned something even bigger than cooking techniques. Mason did not win anything for his chili and he was pretty bummed (It's his first time ever being in a contest and not placing), but better to not win on a level playing field, than to win just because he is 9 and pretty cute. He'll see that when he looks back. I'm glad this happened sooner rather than later so he can see the value of what we do together is more than just what comes with the prize. And, not everyone in the real world gets a trophy for showing up to play (I hate that aspect of youth sports today). All that said, the experience was just one more fun ride - working together as a family in the kitchen, Mason learned to smoke and grill chili's, and we had a weekend get-away in Alameda. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if the Anderson's were home to do it all with us.
 
It's time to get back in the swing of work and school, but we have some fun plans on the horizon, too. I'll share those as they materialize. Mason has something cool coming this week and he will be sending out an e-mail to share with you what that is, you're going to love it. Stay tuned!
 
I want to leave you with this little reminder, "Today you have the opportunity to make a difference. You can smile at someone you don't know, pay someone a compliment, or spend some time with a child not being a grown-up. You get the chance today to make a positive difference in this great big world, today you can be the change you want to see." Take this with you today and let me know how you made a difference! Love, KP

No comments: