Cherries

Monday, April 6, 2015

Happy Easter Monday!

Mason delivering some Easter Cheer!

Happy Monday after Easter!

Well, I hope it's happy for you, I woke up feeling a bit under the weather, sort of like I might be getting sick, but not really feeling like I am sick at all. I went back to bed and that was good, but I'm still moving more slowly than normal.   

We had a really lovely Easter, Dave has more holiday food traditions than anyone I know! For Easter he has a traditional breakfast of hard boiled eggs and Polish sausage. For dinner, he makes lamb and ham (Mason and I do not like lamb), asparagus and scalloped potatoes. And for dessert, he makes a lamb cake (pound cake in the 3D shape of a lamb) dusted with powdered sugar and served with strawberries and whipped cream (or Cool Whip). 


Mason woke up to an egg hunt and his Easter basket, which he loved. After breakfast, Mason and I answered a call from an elderly man, Gerry who lives in a senior complex to bring something Eastery to his neighbors, many of whom have no family and do not get out. We popped over to the Dollar Store and picked up 10 chocolate bunnies and 10 little decorative flower pots and headed over to Auburn Villa to pass out some Easter cheer. Mason is so good about stuff like this, he has no qualms about knocking on a door and saying, "Happy Easter, I'm Mason and I thought you might like a little sunshine today." He has delivered lunches to the homeless in our town and that didn't scare him either, that could be good and it could be bad, a little fear is healthy. I'm sure he is not scared as I am with him and I can hear him saying something like, Mom, I'm bringing them food, why would they want to hurt me? Right? He's a good boy, though he still has a lot to learn in that he is living a very privelidged life and has no idea what it feels like to truly want for something or not have his most basic needs met. This is a huge challenge for me as his mom - finding a way to help him see, while not putting him in such a place none of us want our kids to know. In any case, he made some older folks smile and one lady was so touched she cried. We went back to Gerry's place and he asked Mason if he knew how to throw pizza dough and was totally surprised when Mason told him yes. They both put on chef hats and proceeded to show each other what they could do. We took some photos and left Gerry with some homemade cookies, hard boiled eggs and a chocolate Easter bunny but I think that all paled by comparison to Mason just spending some time with him and making him laugh. 

Mason and Gerry - Happy Easter!

I hope your Easter was as lovely and I would love to hear all about it! Have a great week and do something to brighten someone elses day this week, it can be something as simple as sharing a smile with a stranger.

No comments: