Cherries

Monday, May 8, 2017

Teenage Brain is Alive and Well!

Life lesson for this week:
Me: "Where is the weeding tool I gave you last time you were weeding?"
Mason: "What tool?"
Me: "The straight one with the fork-like prong on the end."
Mason: "I don't know."
Me: "Well, you need to know because you needed the tool, I loaned you mine, and now I want it back. Please give me the weeding tool I loaned you."
Mason: "Oh my God mom! I don't know how you can expect me to give you something that I don't know where it is."
Me: "So let me be sure I understand this, you needed something to do a job, I loaned it to you, and now you can't return it. Is this something like you renting a tool from Ace Hardware and when they call you to say, "Mason, are you bringing that back?" Your reply is going to be "Oh my God Ace Hardware, how can you expect me to return a tool to you that I don't know where it is?"
Mason: "That is SO not the same thing mom!"
Really? The underdeveloped brain of a teenager is alive and well!
But wait! There’s more, “Teenage Brain Farts.”  Mason wanted something from me and I said no, I reminded him that he did not finish the yard work I asked him to do, and he left his crap on the couch even though I'd asked him several times to take it to his room. He replied, "Mom, what do you think I was just doing? I was outside working in the yard."
Let’s be clear here, he was outside for all of 15 minutes and he was using a jackhammer, and last time I checked, a jackhammer is not necessary for pulling weeds. That's exactly what I said to him when he told me, "I did pull the weeds! I pulled the weeds mom! Why can’t you believe me that I pulled the weeds?!” I looked out my bedroom window and guess what? The weeds were still there. I brought him to the window and showed him. He said, "Well, I didn't pull all the weeds. So?”
Nice Mason, real nice, “So you want me to buy you a game (pay you), even though you have not done the complete job I asked you to do for me?"

*crickets*

So I comment, "Next time we go out to dinner and the server only brings you a portion of the meal you order and says, 'Well, I didn't bring you all of your order, So?' is that okay? Do you want to pay for your whole meal? Because you saying you didn't pull all the weeds and then asking me to buy you, *Fill in the Blank Here friends* is the same thing as the server asking you to pay for all of your order when they only brought you some of it."
Mason: "OMG! That is SO not the same thing!"

All I can do at this point is laugh. And what's even funnier is when he tries to do this to me and it's really NOT the same thing. I’ll have to take better notes next time he comes up with his analogy that really isn’t the same thing…

No comments: