Cherries

Monday, May 29, 2017

Tough Business, Tougher DIY

This week, I had to turn down one of our favorite cooking demos/fairs as we just can't do it this year - great people to work for. It’s hard to say no to things we love to do especially after the exchange I had with another organization who wants Mason to perform at their fair. It was several communications over the last two weeks that ultimately (with what they were willing to do) would have had me to paying for Mason to cook/perform at their event.

I got the sense that they thought I was being unreasonable asking them to pay for the supplies for the cooking demo and samples. They said it just wasn't in the budget...really, less than $100 isn't in your budget for entertainment? I got a twinge of the possibility that they may say not-so-nice things about Mason Made and the Partaks. Here is how I explained to them where I am coming from and why.

“Let me explain why we ask that the events pay for this. We are not a restaurant, we do not make our livings in the culinary industry. Restaurant chefs will often do live cooking demos, at no charge, as a means of promoting their restaurant(s). They have groceries at their disposal, and they can write those supplies off. They also expect that by promoting their establishment and their brand (if that's the case), they will make more money by gaining new customers. 

Mason is a Chopped Junior Champion - he won the competition on Food Network and people come to see him. He had a woman this weekend who paid to come into KidsExpo to see him in April, and then traveled to the Auburn Spring Home Show to see him cook again - he has many fans who travel to see him in person. I'm sorry we did not coordinate this sooner to be able to really promote and do a video to share on social media, but it is only fair that Mason make something for his talent and performance. The events that hire him use his image, typically use the wording that includes "Food Network," and I'm sure you'll agree, those things are a draw. 

As far as supplies go, it adds up to buy all the things one needs to do a cooking demo even for a small crowd. Even if I bring things from our kitchen/pantry, by the time I purchase what is needed, take time off work, and get Mason to and from an event, I've now paid for him to do your event. I think you will agree that this does not make sense. 

I'm sorry that this is not working out this time, maybe we can plan with more advance for future fairs and properly promote Mason's appearance so as to justify what would likely equate to about $100 (or so) more that what Mason makes as an entertainer.”

This woman put him on her promotional calendar to be there without confirming with me or finalizing our agreement. With that said, the email I received from our other event planner asking if Mason was planning to attend this year is what’s real, they get it.

"I really hope you and Mason have made plans to join us again for the Chef Showcase during the Fair on July 4th. He’s one of our fan favorites and both of you are such a pleasure to work with."


All of this had me ready to throw myself into a hands-on project in the backyard. Dave and I have many things on our list of things to do, but one big project was prepping and paving a 21 x 5 ft area in our backyard. I was determined to complete the job over the weekend while Dave was gone and I did. But not without the help and support from 2 girlfriends. 70 pavers, 112 bricks, 12 bags of sand, and 2 double shots of tequila at the end. My back was shot and I was crazy tired, but I feel like I accomplished so much! Gaining over 100 sf of patio space in a very small backyard is a big deal. It’s not done, but it’s well underway. Have a great week and just get it done, whatever it is, start. You will be amazed how fast your to-do list turns to done!

No comments: