Cherries

Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Mason's Christmas of Love, 2018

Having a 15 year old is a challenge, especially during the holidays. Mason is completely normal and I am not complaining, its just that it's sometimes more difficult than others to turn the other cheek when they can't see outside of themselves. Mason has been all about what he wants, what he will be buying for himself, and so on. I asked him last week what he was thinking about for his dad. No answer. I asked again, to which he replied, "I'm giving him llooovvvveee! I'm giving you and dad love for Christmas." I love that! I told Mason that I appreciated that very much, my heart was warm thinking about a Christmas of love.
Mason woke up this morning to a half dozen packages of love. I printed some of my favorite quotes and laminated them after writing, "Mason's Christmas of Love, 2018" on them and I will punch a hole and thread a ribbon through them to be future ornaments for his Christmas trees. The first package he opened was this one, our holiday Christmas card with a note on the back . Then the rest followed. When Dave and I started exchanging gifts, I pointed out that Dave and I did not agree to the "love" for gifts, in fact, we get our joy from thinking of the other and how much they might like this gift or that. I explained that it would be awkward for us to bombard him with gifts if he wasn't finding the same joy in giving that we were, so we were respecting his wishes. The joy is in giving far more than getting.
By the time he got to love gift number 5, he was really getting it, and I could see the reality starting to hit him..."I'm getting nothing for Christmas..." he thought. Dave and I left the room and came back with all his wrapped gifts in a big Santa sack, he said he wasn't sure how to feel, he was glad he had real gifts to open but acknowledged he had been a real "Dingle."
I have to give him kudos, he kept his cool, he maintained a good attitude and ultimately, I think he got the message. He told me a few hours later that this was an awesome Christmas and how much he really loves his dad and I and the life we live. Mason is a good kid, he's completely normal and he's smart, funny, and quick. I think he got it. Merry Christmas friends,

No comments: