Cherries

Monday, June 29, 2020

I Won!


It’s been a while! Earlier this week I was buying paint at ACE Hardware when the cashier asked me if I wanted to enter to win the toolbox. I smiled and said, “Why yes, yes I do. Just know, I’m going to win.” She smiled and said, “Okay honey, just your name, and phone number.” When I went to pick it up the next morning I asked her, “Do you remember what I...” “YES! You’re the one who said you were going to win!! WOW!” This is a great way to start the week.

We sent Dave on his way to drive to North Carolina where Mason and I were to meet him on Friday. As Dave had a delay in his travels, Mason and I encountered a hiccup as well. We casually missed our flight, if you can imagine "casually" missing a flight. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 11:15 in the morning and we were sitting at our gate at 10 AM. They changed the gate and I didn't get the memo. I take responsibility as I didn't tune in to see if there were changes. When I realized our flight had departed Mason went to check with a Southwest Agent and she just said she was sorry, but there was nothing she could do. Mason explained that Dave was driving from CA and we needed to meet him, he politely, but persuasively urged her to see what she could do. She looked again and noted that she could get us on a flight for Baltimore, but we could not get to Charlotte until tomorrow morning. He thanked her profusely and off we went. Way to go Mason! Talk about a wild ride! Dave's car broke down in Montana to the tune of ($1200) and additionally, we had a sizeable bill to repair the boat trailer ($1000). I've been working my fingers to the bone on the house and of course, there is real estate (which is fun!). Finally, Mason and I landed in Maryland but we were supposed to be in North Carolina. 

Friday was Dave's birthday and he had to spend it in a fleabag hotel where the pool is so green there are frogs living in it. Mason and I were faring better in the lodging department but we weren't comfortable there for very long, we were back at the airport at 6 AM the next day to catch a flight to North Carolina. Since I had been working since we landed and it was 1:15 AM (10:15 CA time), I headed to bed because even though I wasn't super tired, the alarm would be going off just a few hours later. 


On Saturday we all three connected in Hendersonville, North Carolina within 45 minutes of each other. Amazing that with both delays, we made it happen so easily! We are staying several nights in this gorgeous tiny home (thank you Jeff Greiner) in a little park called, Simple Living. We tootled Lake Lure, saw Chimney Rock Falls (Yes, I said it because that IS what it looks like, not a chimney at all!), and realized Rutherfordton is not the town for us. Dave and Mason went out for dinner while I hit a wall. I don’t know how many nights of 2-3 hours of sleep caught up with me and I was punchy. I was cracking myself up with jokes that Dave and Mason kept saying weren’t funny, but they were laughing out loud! Like the one where Mason said, “Hey look! There’s a pet store...right next to a gun/ammo store.” I quickly added, “In case you need to eat.” LOL! or not.., I stayed behind and took a much-needed nap.

Upon their return, Mason proceeded to crash while Dave and I sat outside marveling at the fireflies. Pure bliss. 


This had to be the weirdest birthday ever for Dave, but truth be told, adventures with my guys make my life so freeking interesting and fun, I wouldn't trade it for the world! Until tomorrow when we hopefully get to swim in our first (of many!) waterfall swimming holes.





No comments: