Cherries

Monday, October 25, 2004

The Gift Of Nothing

Good Day!
So here we are wrapping up October 2004 and I am nearly finished Christmas Shopping. The thing that is so cool about this is that I did not simply make a list of everyones names and head out on a quest to purchase "something." I have been thinking with Christmas for the last month and come across some really special things for the people I love. I am making it a point to be thoughtful and if I find myself just buying any old thing so that I have something, I am opting out and putting it back. Tell me what you think of this mindset: We are all old enough now that we do not want a gift just for a gifts sake. In fact, I would rather not have the obligatory gift. I am simplifying my life and surroundings and a gift from someone I love comes with a touch of guilt. This simply means that I feel like I can't part with it even if it is not something I can use or want out in my home. Isn't it nice to get to spend quality time with someone you care about ...or something that is a thoughtful note letting you know you are special and considered a good friend? If any of you read Mutts, you will appreciate making this holiday season one to give the gift of Nothing. http://muttscomics.com/art/dailyarchive.asp?month=12&date=21&year=2003 Check out what I am talking about and see if we can't start a new trend! Mason would love this, after all, he is far more interested in a pretty box with sassy paper and a shiny bow!

Dave and I have both installed web cams on our computers and it is cool to see each other. We are looking at each other looking down typing and then looking up to see if the other is looking. If we do look into the camera we are looking at each other and all the communication stops. Frankly, it is quite comical! I held Riley on my lap and when he realized he was looking at Dave on my monitor, he went berserk! He was barking and trying to back away and Dave was laughing and growling back at him. Way funny! Mason seemed to get it too, but only stayed interested in Dave's image without flesh and sound for about, oh, 10 seconds.

Dave is organizing a toy drive for his village in Iraq. Most of you get his e-mails so I just want you to know, if you want to do this but don't want to deal with the mailing and post office, let me know and I will do what I can to work with you so I can do the dirty work! Dolls and deflated soccer balls is what they are requesting. Of course, the DVD drive is still ongoing so that is an option if you want to do something for our soldiers. Thank you Marcella for the dolls you gave to me for the toy drive, you were first to get in the game!

Next week, I will be sure to send pictures of Mason in his costume. He is all set to be our happy crab. It should be a hoot! I hope this motivator is useful and that you can view the comic strip. Have a great week!

Kathy

Reasons To Be Thankful

The more you appreciate something, the more valuable it becomes. By being truly and actively thankful, you actually increase and expand the reasons you have for being thankful.

Sometimes it is difficult to find anything for which to be thankful. Yet it is precisely at such times that a genuine sense of thankfulness will do the most good.

When the world looks bleak, being thankful may seem to be naive, wishful thinking. The reality, though, is that thankfulness is a powerful, positive strategy that can immediately change things for the better.

When you can think of no reason to be thankful, it pays to look more closely until you do indeed find a reason. For even the smallest positive thing can begin to change your world in a big way.

If you focus on what is going wrong, on the problems, those problems will consume your energy and they will grow stronger. Instead, give some energy and grateful attention to what is right, no matter how small it may be, and it will surely grow.

Look for reasons to be thankful. And you will find a treasure of real, lasting value.
Ralph Marston from The Daily Motivator with permission www.thedailymotivator.com

No comments: