Cherries

Monday, May 26, 2008

Reflective Memorial Day


Reflective Memorial Day everyone,

I hear people say have a good Memorial Day or have a happy Memorial. Although today should be spent with family and friends and should enjoy those liberties, today is a day to remember those that gave their last measure of devotion to their country.

Memorial Day started out as Decoration Day in 1868 when graves of the Civil War dead, both North and South, were decorated with flowers and flags. Several communities across the country claimed to be the birthplace of Memorial Day, but the honor was given to Waterloo, N.Y. by President Lyndon Johnson, since it had a celebration going back to 1866. In 1971, Congress made passed law making the last Monday in May, Memorial Day.

Memorial Day honors those that have died in the service of their country. For those that have served their country, both living and dead, we have our own holiday on Nov. 11th and that is Veterans Day. Take a moment out of your day, go by your local cemetery and place a flag or flower on a grave of a veteran. I challenge anyone to find a cemetery that does not have at least one stark white marble headstone that is provided to veterans by the government. Take a moment to reflect, give a toast, say a pray, but take the time to reflect on what and who the day is for.

Kathy, Mason and I were out in the yard last week picking cherries from her Mother’s Day present of 2006 and Kathy said she was in her happy place. I commented there is your Monday Motivator for next week. She said “why don’t you write it” and so I am. I hadn’t realized it would be Memorial Day so my initial idea took a bit of a tangent.

As a Veteran of a Foreign War, I am thankful that I am not honored today. I am glad to be home with my family, enjoying each other picking cherries and eating them off the tree, sharing a close encounter with Mother Nature in our neighborhood with my son Mason and the opportunity to write whatever I feel about. I thank all those that have gone before me to serve their country, voluntarily or otherwise, that have paid for our freedoms and liberties with their lives, from the American Revolution to the deserts and mountains of the Middle East.

1 comment:

Kara Plank said...

We salut you, Dave, for the sacrifices you have made for our country!

You too, Kathy and Mason, for you sacrificed Husband and Father quality time to give back to our country as well. That deserves some All-American HOOAH!