Cherries

Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day! 

It's fun to see all the flags flying and people making an extra special effort to thank and support our troops but I have to tell you, we hear sentiments of appreciation all year long. So what's on tap for your holiday today?

Dave and Mason have been gone all weekend so I have been left to do whatever the heck I want! Saturday night I went out dancing with some of my girlfriends, checked the cherry trees for ripe fruit (not quite there yet), I cleared out both mine and Mason's clothes (two big bags - gone!), took all of his cowboy bedroom decorations down, ran errands, cleaned some of the house, washed and changed sheets and then I played in the kitchen. I had some wonderful fruit from last season in my freezer so I made spicy fig orange jelly, fig cupcakes with cinnamon honey butter frosting, and two lemon-blueberry pies. Yep, you guessed it, figs and blueberries are now put to good use and I'm ready for the fresh fruit of the season. My good friend Max pickled some fresh veggies and we traded goodies - why have I never eaten veggies like this before? They were amazing! I guess I thought pickling was just for pickles!

Today the boys will be home and we have a nice dinner planned. I'm going out to clean the deck in the back yard and set the table. I have one more week off and then summer session begins, although my online math class has already unofficially started. I hope you are having as much fun this long holiday weekend as I am!


1 comment:

David Lorell said...

Everything looks so yummy! =)