Cherries

Monday, January 6, 2014

A Brand New Start! Again.

NYE Mason!
It's a new year, and every year I say it, it feels so good to start new. It's funny, because in reality, it's just another day, but collectively as a society, we add a different meaning to January 1st so we have been conditioned to make resolutions, set goals, clean house and so much more. We celebrated the new year with a kids party. Mason invited several friends from school over and with the warm weather we've had, we spent several hours outside with two roaring fires, burgers on the grill, and s'mores with smoshpellows Mason made all by himself. 3 boys and 2 girls listened to music, danced, had a limbo contest, played with Legos and had a Nerf Gun war! Don't be fooled, the girls kicked some serious butt! After the girls went home, two of Mason's friends who were sleeping over gathered in the kitchen after midnight, I peeked over to see three glasses of sparkling cider raised, Mason says to his friends, "May we have an awesome school year, always be friends and not have too much homework. Happy new year guys!" As I wipe a tear of pride from my eye, I think, that's my boy!

Mason and his friends.
This Christmas we started a new tradition - letter writing. When asked what I wanted for Christmas I said I wanted a hand written letter from each Dave and Mason, sharing with me how they feel about our family and our life. I in turn wrote each of them a letter. We exchanged letters on Christmas Eve and each read them aloud. It was my favorite part of Christmas, not only because it was so personal..., but I'm looking years down the road when we all look forward to our letters and we can look back on Mason's, written in his 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 year old handwriting and see what he thought was important at that point in his life. How much more fun will it be when he has a family and they join in? Yes, this is a good one, on all accounts, a good one indeed.

The Whole Gang!
Now we are clearing the sugar and holiday goodies out of the house to get back on track with some healthy nutrition. Mason and I have two big fundraisers coming up in February and March for his school kitchen so we are selling tickets and gathering raffle/auction items. I'm working my butt off now because I am having foot/ankle surgery on January 23rd. I am hopeful that my doctors assurance that I won't be down long is right, but in reality, who knows how long I will be off my feet? The first of the two events is on February 10th, just 18 days after surgery, hopefully I'll be up and around even if it's with a lovely black boot on.
 
 
NYE S'more!
I hope you are off to a great start for 2014 and even if only for the littlest of baby steps, I hope you are moving in the direction of your personal happiness and joy. Remember, this time next year will come no matter what, so why not do something different this time around? Happy Monday!

No comments: