Cherries

Monday, January 20, 2014

The California Draught and History Lessons at Folsom Lake

Rattlesnake Bar Suspension Bridge 1866 & 2014
Happy Monday!

The California draught and history lessons took us out to the very low Folsom Lake today. As is true with all manmade dams, there was once small towns and cities under all the water that is suppose to be there. We went in through Rattlesnake Bar and the most noteworthy structure we saw was the remains of the Rattlesnake Bar Suspension Bridge dated pre 1866. All that is left of it now are the stone abutments, but even with only the stones still standing, there are other signs of the bridge like cables and other stones that were used to secure the bridge. There was a plethora of geology principles right there, so easy to see, and just fascinating to experience in real time, right now. Mason and Dave had a blast bouncing from loose, soft silty sand to super tall rock formations that just begged to be climbed. And climb they did! I couldn't tell who was 10 and who was 50, we were just beings playing on a holiday Monday. Check out this photo of Mason on what's left of the bridge today right alongside the image from 1866, pretty cool, huh?



Now I am off and running, but it won't be for long, this week is a bit of a sprint. I am taking care of details before I have surgery on my foot and ankle on Thursday. My doctor has assured me that I won't be down long and I will only need to use crutches for a couple of days, I hope he is right. Tomorrow Mason will be on Good Day Sacramento and he is still raising money for his school kitchen, I want to thank those of you who sent in gift cards and bought tickets to his upcoming fundraisers. A few of you just made a cash donation and that's awesome! It certainly takes a village and mine is the best ever! Thank you!

I hope you had a lovely long weekend, I know we did. The only really downer was that the San Francisco 49ers lost their playoff game against Seattle. I'm not going to dwell on the negative, but it really did suck! And what am I going to say now? Yep, there's always next year. Have a great week, until next Monday.

No comments: