Cherries

Monday, June 30, 2014

Holy Blazes Batman, it's Hot!

Holy Hotter-Than-Hot Monday Batman! I'm not sure about where you are, but in my lovely little foothill town it's going to be 105 today. Rod, we know you are in Kuwait and you laugh in the face of 105, but you are also more poolside than any Soldier I've known to be deployed so I don't want to hear it! All kidding aside, it is hot and that means drink lots of water and stay out of the direct heat if you can avoid it. 

In other news, this week is moving week. We are renting the house at the end of our cute little loop so we get to keep our neighbors, stay close to the river, Mason's school and both places of employment for Dave and I. Moving is never fun, but moving during what is shaping up to be the hottest week of the year is a double-yuck! Dave and I were looking back and laughing about how we somehow manage to move during the hot months of the year; we spent our first night in the Aeolia house on July 4th 2003 and moved into the Russell Road house in September 2012 (it was hot as blazes that year, too!). 

I was talking to Mason this morning and we were discussing the challenges of the move and his broken arm (things he feels he's missing out on) and I took the opportunity to reiterate what so many of us learned later in life. I reminded Mason that we cannot control all the things that happen to us, but we can absolutely control how we react to them. He thought about it and asked me for an example. We looked at that he couldn't control that he broke his arm and that means he can't ride the knee board behind the boat or go to the skate park on his bike - and those things suck. We turned it around and I said, "Tell me two fun things you can do." His list started out with just going to the river and as we chatted, it grew to many things he could still do to have fun. As I dropped him off at the Boys & Girls Club I reminded him, "You get to pick how you feel about things, choose wisely and you will always be happy." He smiled and in true Mason fashion said, "Yeah mom, with a mom like you it's hard to be crabby." That was the best compliment in a long time! 

I hope you are all doing well and enjoying summertime, I know we are!
Love, Kathy
 

No comments: