Cherries

Monday, June 15, 2015

Summertime Plans

Happy Monday Friends!

I love summertime but it's a challenge between work, keeping Mason busy and out of trouble and making memories as a family. Dave's summer is a little less complicated as his work is constant and his fun is mapped out and planned in (gaming tournaments, NASCAR, and his trip to the east coast for a game convention). I put Mason through what we called "Video Editing Production" summer camp in which I gave him the same hand outs I was given in my college classes and hoped to teach him what I know. Well, he learned it alright! He produced his first video in minutes. The other thing we decided to do was to take more advantage of our CA State Parks pass, we are going to try to visit some of the state parks within 50 miles of where we live and Mason will v-log about it (v-log is a video log, or a blog that utilizes video vs all text). The idea is called "Park Pass & a Picnic" and he and I will both review the parks with visit and also share what we packed for our picnic. It's a creative way to spend some time together and also use video skills, camera skills, build memories and get to know more about all the state parks in CA have to offer. The park pass is only $125 and it's good for the full year. My thoughts also include the idea that with a park pass and some creativity using what you already have in your fridge/pantry, you can have a day out with your kids for a relatively low cost. Sure, as we head out a bit further and reach that 50 mile one way trip, fuel will factor in to the bottom line, but more than the cost, I'm looking at the value of the summer memories Mason and I are making. Today we are off to Oregon Creek in Nevada County, Mason found this one while searching for swimming holes. It is marketed as a park that has beautiful granite slabs and natural rock water slides...we shall see and we'll be posting our video reviews this week. 

Dave is at annual training for the Guard and I think this is his hardest two weeks out of the year. He works 7 days a week from sun up to well past sun down. It sucks, there just isn't any other way to say it! He will hopefully be home late Friday and with Mason swimming on Saturday, he will have the house to himself to relax - I hope! There is the possibility he will have to go into the office on Saturday, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, it doesn't happen that way, but who knows with the military. Speaking of Mason swimming, Saturday was his first swim meet, it was the time trials in which all the kids needed to swim each of the events to set their times. Mason has never done the butterfly stroke but he watched the other kids and got in the pool when it was his turn and did it. I was so proud of him! He did two laps and he didn't quit. The other boys were nearly finished when he was just starting back on his second lap but he didn't quit, he didn't resort to an easier, more familiar stroke, he swam the butterfly stroke all the way to the end. I don't know if I would have stayed with it, but I'm really proud of him that he did. Have a great week and always know, you are stronger than you think you are, try to eek out just one or two more of whatever it is you think you can't do. 

No comments: