Cherries

Monday, April 15, 2019

Let Me Tell You How I Really Feel


I am a full service Realtor, who in some cases, does the maintenance on my listing where my seller lives out of state. My hunky hubby helps me provide service above and beyond. And yes, that's grass debris all over my Brighton sunglasses. Then in the same 12 hours, I am over the moon for my first-time buyers. We've been looking and looking at possible homes for them, we’ve written 3 offers and finally #4 was accepted! It was clearly meant to be as they both exclaimed, at the same time, "I love this house!" My heart melted and all I could think was, "Please let the sellers be reasonable people... please, please, please!" LOL! Two of the first three offers were for the same house and the seller would not even counter them. All I could say was, 'This must not be your house." I can't wait to open escrow today and start moving them toward their first Home-Sweet-Home!

Earlier this week Dave, Mason, and I attended an under age substance-abuse information Town Hall at Placer High School. It was very informative and I’m glad Mason was there to hear what Dave and I were learning. Most notably the Social Host Ordinance (SHO) which holds adults responsible for providing their children and their friends alcohol or drugs thinking it’s better to do it at home. If as parents you think it’s okay to allow your kids and their friends to drink at your home because, “their safe, their home with me and not driving.” You’re wrong. The SHO provides for $1000 fine and if its considered "rowdy" meaning a neighbor calls it in, $2000. If your kid hosts a party while you’re not home, the fines will be applied to them. Providing alcohol for anyone under 21 is contributing to the delinquency of a minor and not okay even on private property. How can the fact that it's happening on private property matter? Is that to say that if any crime is committed on private property, it's not really a crime? For the record, I understand there are many different situations by which parents have to confront this. Dave and I are just starting to enter these difficult waters and if we stay the course the way we've parented so far, we will draw hard lines in the sand and not allow it. I'm also lucky that Dave and I are united so I have that support. It's not easy but I do stand firm on how I feel.

On the topic of the parenting issues, I have not had too much to say about this whole college bribery scandal publicly until now. It seems to me that there are two real factors in play here, #1 these people who paid to get their kids into school might as well have shouted from the rooftops to and about their kids, "I DON'T THINK YOU CAN DO IT! I DON'T BELIEVE IN YOU!' If that is the case, why not just use your wealth to pay your kids way in life, take care of them, set them up, and let the hard working and capable people go to college. #2, you can't punish the wealthy with fines, they will laugh in the face of having to write a check to get them off the hook for breaking the law by writing a check. There has to be a consequence that is outside of their many millions of dollars. With that said, there are murderers and pedophiles who get less time than these elitist folks are facing. I'm not proposing a specific punishment, I’m simply stating that I think it's incredibly sad that they didn't have more faith in their kids to make a good, honest way in this life.

No comments: