Cherries

Monday, June 16, 2008

It Was Grand Poobah Time Again!

It’s Monday morning, and we survived another Grand Poobah!
Actually, we more than survived it, we had a blast! Dave did a great job as Grand Poobah once he got past the crap you have to wade through when you’re the one in charge.

The funny thing that came out of this weekend was how the dynamic of usually very happily married couples change when they tried to work together to put up a tent. If you’ve been there, you know what I’m referring to, and are likely chuckling to yourself. From my perspective, if I get in and try to lead, Dave will pull away and try to lead “stronger.” If I just stand and wait for him to guide me, his response tends to be “Why are you just standing there? Do something.” These quotes are for illustration only and not what he actually said or did, but you get the point. Couple after couple showed up and when it came time to set up the tent, you could see the energy change and hear the frustrated whispers. Those of us who were back to being happily married, with our tents set up, just sipped from our cocktails and nodded in understanding.

The salsa contest was a big hit. There were 16 salsas for tasting and the winner by a landslide was Hotty Roddy’s Pineapple-Mango salsa. It really was good! I’m working on getting the recipes for all the entries so I can pass them on to those who would like to have them. If you made salsa at Poobah, will you send me your recipe? Send it to Kdpartak@yahoo.com.

We all had a great time, but I came away with something really extra special this year. All weekend I watched my dearest friends and even some brand new ones, taking care of, tending to, holding, hugging, kissing, teaching, and playing with Mason. It occurred to me again and again what an advantage this little boy has in all this love, knowledge, and wisdom outside of his biological family. Those of you who know me know that I think biology counts for very little. It’s the gift of your time, attention, and the true love from your heart that make you family, and I think of all of you as our family! With so much love, Kathy

No comments: