Cherries

Monday, July 9, 2012

CrAzY Hot Temps!

100, 103, 104, 103, 101, 101, 98...Welcome to summer! This is what our week is looking like and that means I must not put off getting the AC in the Subaru fixed! Don't get me wrong, I like it hot, but what I don't like is having to have my windows down on the freeway (the noise bugs me), while my hair whips and stings my sweating face. Yes, there is certainly a time for air conditioning.
We had an unusual July 4th. It started on the 3rd when I got Mason up and he had what appeared to be poison oak from his knees down. Panic ran through my body as I thought, "How the heck do I help him when I am so deathly allergic to the stuff myself?" We jumped through all the hoops; benedryl, calamine lotion and an appointment with the doctor. When it was time to make our appointment, I washed the calamine lotion off and there was nothing under it! Not a single red bump or spot. What the heck? I called the doctors office back and they said it's clearly not poison oak, he has no fever, seems to feel fine, it must have been an allergic reaction to something...but what? In any case, we canceled the appointment and headed out to run a few errands. Not an hour into our trip, the rash started back, bright red, but not bumpy, just red, like sunburn in splotches. Back to the doctor we go and in no time, Mason is diagnosed with Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease. It's a virus, not serious, no treatment, and apparently it is going through the grade school kids like the CO wildfires! All we could do was keep the benedryl going and pain reliever for the sores that we were told would be breaking out in his mouth. UGH! Really? On July 3rd? Oh, and highly contagious! Mason couldn't be around people, especially kids or pregnant ladies. Armed with lots of Gatorade and ice pops, we planned for the worst. We waited...no sores, no fever, rash went away - didn't come back, another day, no symptoms...what the heck? Ultimately, Mason's doctor (who I have to tell you, is the BEST!) called me and said as long as there are no sores and no fever, he is not contagious and it's possible we have misdiagnosed him. With that, we had 3 days of Mason in the house making forts out of every blanket and stick of furniture, cooking food not fit to eat (he thought it was the best ever!), and ultimately driving Dave and I bananas!  
Mason and I got right to catching up on summer fun on Friday, we went to the river and had the best time riding the little rapids where we like to swim. We slept outside and watched the moon rise. Saturday we had some neighbor kids come over for root beer floats and then we did the double-whammy, we made s'mores! And yesterday was not one bit less exciting, we went to Loomis for a pool party that went well into twilight when Miss Deb came out with 50 or more glow sticks and tossed them in the pool. The kids went crazy diving for them and playing games until 10 PM. I would go out on a limb and say this summer is shaping up to be one of Mason's most memorable! What are some of the things you remember loving about summer vacation as a kid?
I hope you all had a lovely mid-week July 4th holiday and be sure to make some fun this summer, kids or not, enjoy some of the things that you remember fondly from your childhood summers. Happy Monday!

Oh, and thank those of you who bought a RiverLights photo from Mason. He was over the moon with your questions and orders. He is trying to figure out where we are going and he noticed that I have MN written on the calendar. He asked Dave what that meant and Dave told him it was an abbreviation for MasoN. Doh! I'm betting he will figure it out before we go. He still has 20 pictures to sell so if you didn't get around to ordering one, there is still time! $1.00 each, or $2.00 signed. Smiles

No comments: